Thursday, February 01, 2007

when whitney wasn't bobby brown's bitch!

I never saw Katharine McPhee on American Idol. After the second season I realized they were never going to find someone like Kelly Clarkson so I stopped watching.

Reviewing this album was an experience much like that of a blind date. I knew of her, but knew nothing about what she would be like at the dinner table. Thank goodness she turned out to have exceptional manners.McPhee is all the good things about Christina Aguilera only devoid of the unimpressive vocal pole vaulting that has surprisingly made her a star. She’s pre-breakdown Mariah Carey (even pre-pre breakdown), and the soulful Toni Braxton before bankrupsy. Songs like “Neglected,” track 11, immediately reminded me of Braxton’s hit, “Unbreak My Heart.” It was all reminiscent of when Mariah was Mariah and when Whitney wasn’t Bobby Brown’s bitch.

It’s a bit of a surprise that the majority of the tracks were produced by Nate “Danja” Hills who is the protégé and sometimes partner of one Mr. Timbaland. Hill has produced the likes of The Game, Black Eyed Peas, Jennifer Lopez, Notorious B.I.G, co-produced much of the FutureSex/LoveSongs album for Justin Timberlake, as well as a few tracks with the newly redefined Nelly Furtado. But it’s no wonder why this album works for today’s market. Not to mention, there isn’t a single fluffer on the album.

The only real issue then is whether or not people can get over the fact that she’s from American Idol. Hopefully this album will get people to say, “I want to listen to Katharine McPhee,” and not feel like they are doing something shameful.

It was well worth the $10 I didn’t spend. Okay so I downloaded it. What I can say? Was I really going to spend money on some broad I’d never heard before? But all of you out there should spend the money; it’s definitely worth it!!!

No comments: